Sunday, November 19, 2006

Pleasant surprises

On Tuesday I had dinner with a friend from SF whom I haven't seen in two years. We had been reasonably close the summer before I left to come back to Boston. I had forgotten how great it is to hang out with and talk to him—his sense of humor is rather dry, and he's very quick-witted. I think it was the best conversation I had had in a while, which makes me both sad and happy at the same time; at least I know what I've been missing lately. Tuesday night made me think that moving back to the Bay Area could be worthwhile; I've lost touch with some friends there, but now I can see myself going back and being able to rejoin that environment/community.

I've also been pleasantly surprised by a friend of mine from work. I've gotten to know him through the project that I've been working on, and over the past couple of weeks I've discovered how much depth there is to him, and that he is a soulful, spiritual person. It's been a while since I've encountered anyone who's shown me that side of himself, and I think I had almost forgotten that that part of people even exists. I just hope that I don't disappoint him... It's funny to me that there is often a duality to people: what you see on the surface, and then what really makes people tick. The fun part is getting to learn everything about someone and seeing how it all fits together.

One unpleasant surprise: there were apartment break-ins in our building this past Monday. I'm definitely moving out of here when the lease is up. I had contemplated staying after Meryl moves to Minnesota since there are a lot of great things about living here (free parking, new management company, good location with respect to public transportation, the apartments are in the process of being renovated, the pool, cheap storage), but the apparent safety of the complex has taken a nosedive since the summer. When I move, I won't be a half-wit, and I'll actually do research on neighborhood safety prior to signing a lease.

P.S. Not a surprise: I think that blogging has become my new method of procrastination.

2 comments:

lily said...

i'm starting to think that california may be my ultimate destination too...i jealous that you had food with cchu...what was she doing in boston? is she visiting for tday? my tday this year is gonna be sad sad sad. sigh.

Olivia/Liver said...

CChu was in town just to visit. She's going home for Turkey Day. I'm sorry you think your Turkey Day will be sad! I assume you have to work...?

We miss you!!