I went to the post office today to send a birthday present and some greeting cards. (But the story doesn't end there!) While I was waiting in line, I notice there are some older Chinese men dealing with each other... loudly, using that tone reserved for when one is frustrated with another. I confirm that they are Chinese when I hear one of them chide the other and say the number six to the one who's trying to fill out a money order. I chuckle to myself, which catches the attention of the one who's not writing. He looks at me and I smile and look away. The line moves forward a little bit, but eventually, the one who's not writing gets my attention, speaks some Chinese to me (to which I respond in English that my Chinese isn't good), and gestures to me asking for help to fill out the money orders. So we manage to communicate (through gesturing and their minimal English) which of the addresses written down on some papers they had should go in the "To" section, and which should go in the "From" section. I get done with those, then fill out an envelope for them. They're happy and thankful and I'm proud of myself for being helpful, and I get back in line.
While I'm dealing with the mail clerk, the non-writing man approaches the mail clerk and shows him the money orders I've filled out to confirm that they've been filled out correctly (pointing to me in the meantime). The mail clerk tries to tell him that he needs to keep the receipt part of the money order and starts to tear off the top. This confuses and mildly upsets the man, but I try to calm him down and tell him it's okay (in English), and do the same thing with the other money order. I gesture and whatnot with the different parts hoping he'll understand what I mean. He gets it eventually, and says so in Chinese.
I get done with my stuff and go back to the two men to make sure they're okay. I think that they're kind of waiting for me because when I get to them, they have me fill out the registered mail receipt they have. When I'm all done, the one who had been writing asks me if I'm Chinese (in English). I say that I am (also in English). They say thank you (in both Chinese and English), and they're kind of laughing, but they're not squabbling with each other anymore, which is good. I leave the post office.
As I'm walking away, I realize what an idiot I am. :P There are simple things that I definitely could have said that I didn't that probably would've helped. Such as dui in the right places, or zhe shi ni de, zhe shi ta de or something close that would've been more helpful than ENGLISH. I could've also said wo shi zhong guo ren when asked. AAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!
Anyway. I'm very happy that I (think I) helped someone today, and I'm definitely amused by the whole encounter. But I'm irritated with myself for not trying to think in Chineseit just doesn't come naturally to me. I called my mom tonight to tell her about all this and mentioned that if I had brought my phone with me, I would've called her and had her talk to them to translate.
I'm a bad Asian! I need to learn more Chinese. And actually practice it. And stop being bothered by being laughed at when I try to speak it!
3 comments:
wait, but aren't you haitian? :)
my father once tried to get me to practice speaking chinese w/ him on a car ride to school. i remained silent the entire time. yay for being rebelious.
In the last year or two, I think I told my mother to speak Chinese to me so that maybe I would learn more. She does this occasionally, but then I just end up staring at her blankly until she repeats herself and throws some English in there...
Post a Comment